Getting Started with FAtiMA-Toolkit
FAtiMA Toolkit is a collection of tools/assets designed for the creation of characters with social and emotional intelligence. Using it will allow you to create interesting, believable and engaging characters that appraise events and make decisions on their own.
Fatima Toolkit is a C# library that can be easily integrated into already existing projects. FAtiMA Toolkit can be, and is, used in commercial video games, serious games, educational robots, virtual reality experiences, among others.
By incorporating the FAtiMA library authors are able to add different levels of intelligence to their characters such as decision making capabilities, emotional responses, emotional appraisal of events, belief and memory systems, dialogue, etc.
These layers are difficult to author using code alone, this serves as motivation to create the Integrated Authoring Tool – a Windows forms application where authors can easily design and create their scenarios and the characters within them.
The Integrated Authoring Tool works as an independent user interface application and has several debug features such as a Simulator, a Dialogue Tree Generator among others.
You can download parts of FAtiMA according to your needs:
- If you wish to create scenarios and emotional characters files using through a User Interface you can find the Integrated Authoring Tool executable – here.
- Small example files
- If you wish to import FAtiMA as an external library to your project you can find the .dll files here.
- Latest version of FAtiMA Toolkit: a release that includes all things FAtiMA-Toolkit including its source code, its Authoring Tools and Executable files, its .dll files and even some code examples is available in its Github “Releases” section.
Once you download the latest release of FAtiMA Toolkit, you might be a bit lost, so what do all these files ?
As we’ve mentioned FAtiMA is a C# library as a result its source code is a C# Solution/Project. Here are the most important files you can find there:
- “FAtiMA-Toolkit.sln”: This is the FAtiMA Solution, it encapsulates all the assets used by FAtiMA
- “Executables” Folder: In this folder you can find the executable file for each component within FAtiMA including the most important one the “Integrated Authoring Tool”.
- “AuthoringTols/AuthoringTools.sln”: This is the C# Solution for the Authoring Tools. It is user interface focused and serves as an addition to the original solutions. Keep in mind that in order to be able to compile this part of the code it is important that the FAtiMA Solution is also compiled.
- “Tutorials”: In this folder we present different code tutorials for the different assets, these are also available once you’ve loaded the FAtiMA-Toolkit solution.
- “ExportAuthTool.bat”: This is a script that generates the Authoring Tool Executable files from the AuthoringTools.sln compiled code.
- “ExportDlls.bat” : This is a script that generates an C# library (.dll files) using the compiled code from the FAtiMA Solution.
If you prefer to use the latest experimental version, you can do so, by clicking the “Clone or download” button. Use this version at your own risk, however you can take a look at its current state by checking the Unit Tests in its GitHub page.
FAtiMA Toolkit is an open-source project, feel free to play around, change remove and add your own code to it.
FAtiMA-Toolkit requires no installation. By opening the “Executable Folder” you can start using the Toolkit and all of its components.
In this website you can find several in-depth tutorials on how to use the Toolkit according to your needs:
- Using the Integrated Authoring Tool : Using the User Interface to create your own scenarios and characters.
- FAtiMA as a C# Library : How to use FAtiMA within your C# solution, with code examples and suggestions.
- The Comme il Faut Asset : How to use the CiF-CK asset within FAtiMA to create complex and diverse interaction scenarios
- The Social Importance Asset: How to use the Social Importance asset within FAtiMA to create meaningful relationships
- Unity Integration Tutorial: How to easily integrate FAtiMA in your Unity Project
- NCSU FAtiMA Workshop Presentation (November 2018)
- GALA 2017 Tutorial Presentation
- IAJ Lecture 1
- IAJ Lecture 2
FAtiMA Starter Kit (using Unity)
To quickly start learning and playing with FAtiMA Toolkit we have designed a very simple and easy to use Unity Project. It is also a good example of the integration of FAtiMA in a game engine.
The FAtiMA Starter Kit project is a great way to start using FAtiMA. It describes features a small conversation scenario between the Player and a Role Play Character.
Users can author this scenario using the Authoring Tool or learn how to use the FAtiMA C# library by editing the code.
Additionally it provides an example of the Toolkit’s synergy with 3D Characters and animations.
We encourage all users to play with this project and make it their own.
You can find this project either in:
– Its GitHub Page: keep in mind that this repository the Git Large File Storage (LFS) system. As such, downloading the project from Github as if it were a .zip file won’t work as some files might be missing, we encourage users to clone the project keeping this in mind.
– The Google Drive : as an alternative to cloning the repository we’ve also made available a zipped version of the project through Google Drive.
Please note that the most relevant part of the Code used is properly documented and that users might access the Authoring Tool by going to the “FAtiMA Starter Kit\Assets\FAtiMA” folder and opening the “IntegratedAuthoringToolWF.exe” file.
To learn more about FAtiMA Toolkit and for additional learning content check the posts on the right sidebar of this page